Melt Therapy

Monday, August 16, 2010

Tying a Headwrap/Turban

Before I took kundalini yoga, I didn't understand the importance of covering your head.  Well, actually, that's a lie: I wore a beret all the time when I lived in London, England, because I'd heard somewhere that we lose 80% of our body heat out the top of our heads -- and boy is London too cold for me to not keep myself warm!

Anyways, I bought my headwrap from Kundalink (check out her blog).  The material is easy-to-use, and washable.  In yoga we have reasons (other than cold weather) for covering your head -- use non-static, natural cloth (i.e., cotton) and keep your hair up.  A head cover contains your energy, and protects you; it protects your Crown Chakra, as you practice raising your kundalini energy.  Here's another "why" about covering and hair, according to Yogi Bhajan:
The hair regulates the inflow of sun energy into the body system.  To let the solar energy flow without obstruction, let the hair grow to its full natural length, and take good care of it.  If this is done, the amount of energy that goes downward from the Seventh Chakra increases tremendously.  The kundalini energy is activated by the radiant force of the solar plexus and moves upward in response to the solar energy coming down.  This balances the body energy and maintains the total equilibrium.
Don't take it from me: try it yourself.  Try kriyas (yoga sets) and/or meditations with/without a head cover and check out any differences.  I notice that when I chant, covering my ears as well, gives me that extra meditative edge!

p.s. my personal stylist friend told me turbans are trendy now!  Check 'em out at H&M.

       

No comments:

Post a Comment

Write me here...! I love hearing from you. :)