Melt Therapy

Friday, August 13, 2010

How To: Introduction to Learning the JapJi (Part 1)


Forget all those personal development workshops and listen to HarSimran's simple instructions to begin learning how to meditate to the ancient JapJi: the Poem of the Soul.
After the brief video, you're ready to go onto the Mul Mantra.



We are basing this project on a book that Yogi Bhajan co-wrote, that is, unfortunately no longer in print.  However, here is the complete MLA citation:
Khalsa Yogoji, Siri Singh Sahib Bhai Sahib Harbhajan Singh, and Khalsa Bhai Sardani Sahiba Bibiji Inderjit Kaur. Psyche of the Soul: the Nit Naym Banis, with additional Shabads and prayers, and their effects. Tucson: Hand Made Books, 1993.

7 comments:

  1. The recording of Japji Sahib that is on Amazon is very clear. It is at a moderate pace, which is good for starting out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks HarSimran -- so necessary when you're just starting out. Looking forward to creating a video just on the proper pronunciation of Gurmukhi with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know the JapJi was about speaking to the soul...how beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it?!? It's like ancient personal development...I can't wait to go through each pauree -- polish each facet of the diamond, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. For the longest time I have resisting reciting anything repetative. Mainly because I dont know what it means; the foreign language. I would really love to know what the Japji Sahib words mean and then I can make it personal to me. I hope to hear more about the meaning and pronunciations soon. thank you for heading this project. Keep us posted

    ReplyDelete
  6. All I do know is that when the Japji Sahib is playing at Sadhana, my heart feels like it's going to burst. I have such an overwhelming feeling of love, that I just want to cry. So it must be a love song to our spirits because it feels that way even though I have no idea what it all means. The Universal language of the spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Charleen,
    Dear heart, I understand how you feel -- I too often feel overwhelmed during sadhana and it used to freak me out, but now I just let my tears wash down and feel cleansed. As for pronunciation, HarSimran and I are working on the next lessons so that you'll have the tools too! Thanks for taking the time to stop by and drop your feedback, love.

    Erica xx

    ReplyDelete

Write me here...! I love hearing from you. :)