Melt Therapy

Thursday, August 19, 2010

How I Got Started in Kundalini Yoga

We all arrive at kundalini yoga for different reasons and from different paths.  My first experience with kundalini yoga was via this DVD by Ana Brett and Ravi Singh.  I'd only done ashtanga yoga before, and didn't quite understand all the singing involved, but the DVD gave me a chance to continue in my home practice.

In February 2006, I was in Karlsruhe, Germany, and a friend of a friend asked me if I wanted to go to 4am yoga.  Being fearless, I said yes, and so she came at 3:45am to get me.  I remember sleepily arrived at Surya Zentrum on the back of her bicycle.  I had no idea I was in for 2.5 hours of yoga and meditation, and knew even less about Yogi Bhajan, group sadhana, or the Aquarian Mantras.  But I patiently did everything that I was told, and afterwards, I asked the head person, Hari Har, this question: "Why do you do this?"

She replied: "Because diamonds are created under enormous pressure."

At that time, I had been away from (ashtanga) yoga for several years, burned out, and angry.  I don't know what possessed me to go to that 4am sadhana -- whim?  I returned to Los Angeles in 2008, still upset at yoga, and not believing in it, when my boyfriend, after much coaxing, got me to take a class at Golden Bridge.  I did one class, with Sat Siri teaching, and felt something profound shift in me.  Profound enough to enroll in yoga teacher training.  There are times still where I waver, but I know if I do not keep practicing, it bites me in the ass.

Since 2006, I hold Hari Har's words as my own private mantra, and it's enabled me to get through difficult times. 

Please share below your story of how you got first interested in yoga, and the path it's taken you...!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Write me here...! I love hearing from you. :)