Melt Therapy

Monday, September 27, 2010

Pronouncing Gurmukhi: A Video Introduction

Join me in my quest to learn JapJi Sahib by following my friend HarSimran Khalsa's video's as she introduces Gurmukhi, based on the transliteration by

Khalsa Yogoji, Siri Singh Sahib Bhai Sahib Harbhajan Singh, and Khalsa Bhai Sardani Sahiba Bibiji Inderjit  Kaur. Psyche of the Soul: the Nit Naym Banis, with additional Shabads and prayers, and their effects. Tucson: Hand Made Books, 1993.


An explanation of Gurmukhi vowels:



Watch here and learn the Retroflex Consonants:


Check out Aspirated Consonants in this short video:


OK, watch examples of  the different aspirated consonants (you can learn with a candle too!)...
"D, DH"

"T, TH"


"G, GH"


"J, JH"


"K, KH"


"CH, CHH"


"B, BH"


Retroflex DH:


Retroflex T'H:


And finally, a word about "H":

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Write me here...! I love hearing from you. :)