Melt Therapy

Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Power of Naps


Just jotting a short post in between clients: OK, here's what I've noticed with experience, and what I like to inform my clients: It's OK To Nap.

In particular, and especially with really wound-up, and/or inflexible body types, I let my stiff clients know that after I've worked on them, with the release of tension, they're likely to be yawning and their bodies will tell them that they're sleepy, heavy-feeling, and just plain drowsy.  And that's the perfect opportunity to allow themselves to nap.  Napping after a session with me is like hitting the body's reset button: it allows your body to integrate my work!  Remember: deep relaxation is the key to stress relief -- I can't emphasize that enough!!

But a lot of us are resistant to napping.  Somehow, somewhere, we received the message that napping was a bad habit, that it is no good.  We got to thinking that napping means you're lazy.  Or maybe you've simply unlearned how to nap, i.e., "I can't do it!"  It's simply not true, and definitely when my clients see me, I remind them -- nay, give them permission -- to nap afterwards.*

True story: recently, a client told me that after her first Thai Yoga massage session with me, she went home and slept for thirteen hours straight!  I asked her if that was OK. She replied, "Oh my God, it was so great!  I've never slept that long in my life, and it felt awesome!  Like the sleep of the angels!  I so needed it.  I woke up totally refreshed!"  OK, so that's the most extreme(ly positive) case I've ever received feedback from -- but it goes to show you how much our bodies need time to rejuvenate and heal themselves through deep relaxation and quality sleep.

*Best to drink a nice glass of room temperature water beforehand, to help flush out toxins and remain hydrated!


   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Write me here...! I love hearing from you. :)