Melt Therapy

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

After Baby Arrives: Keep the Cocoon

One of the perks of my job is that I get to see the transition point from pre-natal to post-partum.  I get to work with pregnant mommas, and help them adjust throughout their pregnancy.  My doula, Pati Garcia (aka Chula Doula), is there during the labor and right after.  Then I support the momma and newborn with massage -- it's a beautiful circle.  If we're lucky, we get to work with the momma and family again, with the next kid!

Here's some things I've noticed, massage-wise, for a new momma.  It's always a treat to return and meet the newborn baby in person, after spending so much energy and time with them in utero -- it's like meeting an old friend!  And the babies I've gotten to know are super calm and relaxed.

Who's that cute monkey?
A lot of times, when I arrive for the first post-partum massage, mom has placed baby separate from her.  This is a natural thing to do (after all, mom is receiving the massage), but what I found is that babies want to remain next to mom, and also, from my point of view, we are continuing holding the safe, nurturing, protected space which we three were all connected in prior to baby's arrival.

The baby's sensitivity to its surroundings and a mother's sensitivity to the needs of her newborn child makes it important to keep the cocoon -- that crucial bond -- between them.  I often feel a sense of honor and privilege to be in this supporting role, and I ask the mom to cradle her baby while I'm working on her.  To me, the umbilical cord may be cut, but energetically there is no separation between momma and baby just yet.

Baby Mae and her momma Aimee share a
peaceful moment during my massage.
To the left is an example of how I work: mom and baby are closely connected.  They are cosy and comfortable.  A blanket covers them both, and they are joined in a moment of peaceful relaxation.

Feeding and changing diaper time is budgeted in, so many times, my post-partum massages can take anywhere from 2-2.5 hours.  It sounds like a long time, but for the momma, this is really crucial time to help recover her body and energy level.

Lastly, a frequently asked question is, "How soon can I get a massage after giving birth?"  My experience has been to work on a new mom as soon as two days after childbirth.  There is a very swift transition from the rigors and exhaustion of childbirth to having to be aware and alert for your baby, so the quicker mom is on her feet and feeling re-oriented in her body, the better and more able she is to care for her newborn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Write me here...! I love hearing from you. :)