Melt Therapy

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Recipe: Kale and Potato Soup

Kale is one of my favorite veggies, and I've given out this recipe more times than I can remember.  Really good by itself, and when I want added nourishment, I spoon it over brown rice.  If I want to be extra special with my bad self, I top that with a fried egg!

Ingredients:
1 bunch kale
3Tsp virgin olive oil
1 medium red or yellow onion, diced into 1/2" squares
6 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
1 small dried red chili, seed and chopped or 1/2 tsp chili flakes
1 bay leaf
1 tsp salt
4 medium red potatoes
1 cup vegetable soup stock
4 cups water
freshly ground pepper to taste

Instructions:
Tear kale leaves off stems into ~2" squares, wash well, and set aside.


Heat olive oil in soup pot.  Add onion, garlic, chili, bay leaf, and salt.   Cook on medium high for 3-4 minutes, until onions are done.  Stir frequently. 












 Add potatoes, plus soup stock.  Stir together, cover, and cook slowly for 5 minutes.














Add kale, cover and steam until wilted.  Stir occasionally.  Add the water, bring to boil, simmer sloly, covered until potatoes are quite soft, ~30-40 minutes.











Use wooden back of spoon to break up potatoes by pressing them against the sides of the pot, or puree a cup or two of soup in a blender and return to pot.








Taste soup for salt and add a generous grinding of fresh black pepper.  If possible, let soup sit for 1 hour or so before serving to allow flavors to develop.

Serves 4-6.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Write me here...! I love hearing from you. :)